Ridge to Reefs' focus is on supporting local creation and implementation of watershed plans primarily in the Chesapeake Bay and in Coral Reef Watersheds that are focused on achieving tangible environmental outcomes
- We work to increase local restoration and protection capacity and manage pollution though direct interventions (on-site restoration practices) and through ecosystem restoration practices including restoring historic wetlands, mangroves and creating new treatment wetlands to treat specific pollution sources.
- We establish partnerships between local governments, agencies, educational institutions, and local stakeholders to engage them in restoration and protection activities.
- We work to help improve local policy and help create mechanisms for maintenance and long term sustainability.
- We recognize and work to support local sustainable businesses as protection of natural resources goes hand-in-hand with a sustainable local economy.
- We are working toward the integration of renewable energy sources as part of a watershed implementation approach as many of the sources of pollution in runoff are derived from fossil fuels and are creating global problems including ocean acidification and climate change affecting coral reefs and the underpinnings of our ecological system in which we are dependent.